English as a Scientific Language.
This course is designed to improve the communication skills of Masters/Post-grad/postdoctoral research fellows whose first language is not English and to help integrate them into their English-speaking environment. It will include both scientific and everyday English. At the end of the course, the participants will be better able to participate in lab meetings, and present and discuss their research in formal and informal settings. Class activities will focus on:
- Reading and discussion of scientific articles
- Expanding knowledge of academic and colloquial vocabulary
- Exploring grammatical structures used in academic and scientific writing
- Listening to tapes of scientists discussing their work
- Practicing presentations with classmates
- Exercises which address common pronunciation problems